The Treasury Department is aware of and protecting the identity of a U.S. diplomatic official who was accused of forcing a woman at a party to have oral sex in the ambassador’s maid’s quarters on New Year’s Eve 2014, according to a report published Wednesday afternoon.
The agency corroborated the allegations during an administrative investigation that took place under former President Barack Obama’s administration, but is keeping the man’s name secret, the Daily Mail concluded from a Freedom of Information Act request report. The allegations involve a 22-year-old woman and an unnamed high-ranking financial attache.
The official had been making a midnight toast to guests at his house party, which took place at his taxpayer-funded residence. During his remarks, he told them he was as “hard as Lenin’s statue,” the documents say.
The unnamed victim had been visiting a relative at the embassy while on vacation. She said the unnamed official had made advances toward her, but she did not indicate she was uninterested. At one point, the Daily Mail reported, the official had his hand in hers and the woman said she was unable to break hold of his grip.
Once the sexual assault began, the woman said the man maintained a grip on her hair that prevented her from being able to pull her head away from his genitals.
She also said he stuck his fingers into her vagina during the incident. She told officials who investigated the alleged attack that she did not leave because she was “scared.”
Fourteen guests from the party were later questioned about what they witnessed that night. Six of them said the attache was either “drunk” or “very drunk.” Others said the two had been “flirting” throughout the night.
The victim texted a friend about the encounter a few hours afterward. Three days after the incident, the woman told her brother about it and he reported it, which prompted an internal investigation.
A medical examination days after revealed no physical signs of trauma.
The Treasury Department’s Inspector General Jack Lew eventually issued a report that stated, “[The investigation] determined that it is more likely than not that [the woman’s] version of the event is more accurate and that the sexual act was not consensual. … Also it is likely that [the woman] was too intimidated and scared to forcefully resist [the attache’s] advances.”
However, the attache’s identity or where he was stationed at the time have been kept secret. The Justice Department’s Rights and Special Prosecutions Section, under the Criminal Division, decided not to prosecute the case.
The attache told the Office of the Inspector General the “sexual contact” was consensual and that the woman had multiple chances to say no or pull away, yet did not do so.
The attache could have been one of seven people who serve in that role at embassies in Paris, Frankfurt, Moscow, Baghdad, Kabul, Tokyo, and Buenos Aires.
The Treasury told the Daily Mail that he no longer works for the department. It’s unknown whether the federal government paid a settlement to the alleged victim.